Saturday, May 28, 2005

Mammosite catheter placement

Sounds horrendous, doesn't it? But it seems like a miracle to me!!! I had never heard of this. My doctor sure didn't tell me about it. But apparently there is a new form of breast cancer radiation treatment that targets only the part of the breast that's affected! They insert a saline-filled balloon and inject the radiation somehow. So, your skin doesn't get burned and you don't have the cosmetic problem of having a sunburn that changes your skin color in that area for up to a few years! But the best part is that instead of getting daily treatments for 7-8 weeks, you get 2 treatments a day for 5 days, and that's it! I would have to travel to some place where they do this, but I can just take a week off and be done with it.

Now, as fate would have it, my surgeon has just started a 2-week vacation, so I won't be able to ask him about it before my first appointment with the regular radiation oncologist here. So if I'm a candidate for this, I'll have to get my referral from the guy whose services I'll be blowing off in order to get this new treatment. So that's kind of uncomfortable and I'm worried that he will tell me I can't do it just so I will stay here and get treated by him. I don't have any reason to believe he's unethical; I just tend to worry about stuff like that.

But if he tells me no, I will figure out some way to get a second opinion.

2 Comments:

Blogger AsharEdith said...

That other treatment sounds good. Hope the oncologist and your Doc say is OK for you to take this other treatment. I'll keep you on my prayers.

GBY

10:48 AM  
Blogger Vermin the cat said...

That treatment sounds wonderful--do whatever you need to in order to take charge of your own health, and if it means getting a second or third opinion, go for it--its your body and your right!

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter