Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fishie...fishie...fishie....FISH.

So Alabama makes its mark on national news once again, and here in our own home town. ::sigh:: I can't even imagine what sort of people the rest of the world imagine that we are.

I feel a little hypocritical about the fish. It horrifies me that anyone could eat a live creature. But is it really better to kill it first, then eat it? It's probably all the same to the fish...it's been murdered either way. And since it isn't a particularly sentient creature, does it realize the distinction in horror between being slaughtered and being eaten alive? I doubt it.

I guess the horror exists in the hearts and minds of the children being encouraged to participate in this carnage. And it does become more horrifying when we contemplate eating an animal which we typically keep as a PET. Those of us who are carnivores think nothing of consuming a beef cow or a chicken, but the idea of eating a horse or a dog or a parrot is almost as revolting as the notion of consuming human flesh. So, although I will chow down on a plate of tilapia with great pleasure, I can't consider eating a fish that looks like one who lived in its own tank in my bedroom when I was 8, and whom I named Swishie.

So, is this some form of animal racism (speciesism??) on my part? Should I really be making these distinctions? How is it any more wrong to eat a cat than to eat a pig? Morally, I just don't think it is. It's purely a matter of social convention.

So, what the minister at First Assembly really did was to defy social convention, no more, no less. He stepped out of the box in order to cause some sort of spiritual awakening in his disciples. And he was apparently successful, as a few were baptized as a result of that stunt. After a few days of mulling this over, I've come to the conclusion that especially as an eclectic Pagan and a meat-eater, I have no right to question his methods. If I were a Vegan, I could sit in judgment all day long.

However you look at it, it's embarrassing to everyone in this state because on the surface of things, this just seems to bolster long-held stereotypes of Alabamians as backwards holy-roller rednecks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a vegetarian. Not because I love animals...because I HATE plants!

Netracer41

12:33 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Okay, first. The above comment made me laugh.

Next, you're pretty right. As far as I'm aware fish caught through nets are pretty much assured death through suffocation, which seems like a pretty horrific death. Compared to... being pushed through an esophagus (I wonder if that's enough pressure to kill them?) and then falling in a small basin of edible debris and acid. The latter seems more obscene, but it might be faster, I don't know enough about biology/anatomy.

I think the difference between eating a cow and a dog... well yes for one you're right. One is cuter, one we have real emotional attachment to. (Which is somewhat fair. It's harsh, but my sister dying is going to affect me more than someone I don't really know.) I think there's also a... humanity factor. We attribute so many human characteristics to our pets. Cows don't give the impression of having the capacity to be frightened of impending death, but a dog... A dog whines and your heart breaks! Now whether cows do get scared or not, I have no idea. But it helps me get through my burger to have the perception that they don't.

I think that's a pretty big factor really. Unless you've lived on a farm you probably haven't heard a pig scream. And living on a farm probably desensitizes you to a degree.

(Of course, some go to PETA to rectify that problem. And I really do despise that organization, but I still think twice about my pork products.)

PS - Found you off the NSBB by the way... a long time back, but I'm not sure if I've ever commented before.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter