Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Some great ideas for the Shoals...

Susann Elsass wrote a brilliant letter to Billy Ray Warren this week, and has given me permission to share:

Dear Billy,

I've been thinking about something and just had to share my thoughts. I
have spent the last 3 days at the Sheffield Charrette. One of the speakers
on Thursday night was John Elkington who is the primary developer of Beale
Street in Memphis. One of the main points he made was that Sheffield should
not "copy" what another city has done. He said that it's important to
create a new experience so that tourist who visit the area return home
saying "You have to see what they have done". I have also learned in the
last 3 days that Sheffield intends to create an entertainment/music district
downtown.

I couldn't help but think about our own plans for Florence and the tourist
attractions we are exploring here. I know we have been looking at a Bass
Plus and the possibility of an entertainment district in East Florence.
I've actually been a supporter of it. (the entertainment district, not the
Bass Plus) What I can't stop thinking about is how firm Mr. Elkington was
about his warning to "create something different". It seems obvious to me
that Sheffield is much better situated to create a music district downtown.
They have more large buildings with character that are better situated to
become nightclubs and restaurants. They also have a more direct historical
tie to the recording industry in that area. If we do the same type of
district it just seems to be boring duplication. I believe that a Bass Plus
would be the same duplication situation. Bass Plus was a big deal 10 years
ago. I realize that the nearest one may still be a drive, but I'm sure it's
only a matter of time before a competitor with the same product line comes
along to rival them. I just don't feel that it's a novel "look to the
future" type approach.

I'm writing to you because I'm aware of your desire to construct a
Renaissance Village and I know you have looked at Veterans Park as a
possible location. I'm aware of the ownership issue, and I know the city
has been asked to offer Bass Plus an incentive. What I would like to see
happen in Veterans Park is exactly what you propose. The link that Florence
has to the Renaissance period is what makes us unique. I did a little
research to see where there might be competition and all I could find is a
plan for a Renaissance village that isn't even under construction in
Colorado and a couple of Medieval Times restaurants in North Carolina and
Florida. I may be incorrect, but my guess is that a Renaissance village
could also be constructed in harmony with the existing landscape easier than
a Bass Plus, which I'm sure would please the environmentalists. If you look
at the enduring popularity of places like Silver Dollar City and
Williamsburg that also supports my position.

In addition I have a different approach to what I would like to see happen
in East Florence. I would like to see an entertainment district with an
international flair. I believe that the success of the Celtic Concert
Series and the Indian Dance Troupe point to an interest in such
entertainment. I personally really miss the Indian, Thai, Mediterranean,
and other ethnic restaurants in Los Angeles. I know that I'm not alone
because I've been in 3 completely different groups of local citizens lately
where the subject came up and they have all echoed the same sentiment. I
also think the old depot over there would make a wonderful farmer's market
with an exotic flair and I know there is some interest in a more upscale
gourmet grocery store. They could carry international spices and produce
and maybe even offer cooking classes in ethnic cuisine.

I would further support my proposal by pointing out that when Dr. Borah
introduced the Mamata Shankar Ballet Troupe he mentioned research that
indicated communities that demonstrate an openness to ethnic diversity are
more likely to attract industry in the new world economy. I'm paraphrasing
what I remember of his comments, and will contact him to inquirer about his
sources. I would also point out that in terms of tourist attractions this
area is overrun with Southern History and Southern Music History. I'm sure
I'll lose friends talking like that, but I'm not saying it's bad - just that
there is a lot of it. You have the Smokey Mountains, Nashville, Beale
Street, New Orleans (the music district isn't that far from being back
online) and I know that Tupelo is working toward jumping on that bandwagon.
I know that there is a rich music heritage in this area, but you can only
capitalize on it so much. I especially think that in terms of attracting
folks from Nashville, Memphis, and Birmingham for repeat visits it makes
sense to do something a little different. Picture this... Downtown Florence
becomes an art district (there are already 3 galleries and the First Friday
event), Sheffield and Muscle Shoals have a music district and a new
recording industry, Tuscumbia has the Indian Heritage and Railroad link
along with upscale shopping and children's attractions, and the East
Florence area is a Renaissance Village that flows into an adjacent
international entertainment district. It seems to me that if we do it that
way a traveler wouldn't feel like they had "Done the Shoals" until they
visited all these communities. It gives them a reason to stay longer no
matter what hotel they are in. I also think that these attractions would be
much more likely to be used by a larger percentage of the locals. I just
don't see a big number of the college kids going to Bass Plus.

I would like to hear your thoughts on what I propose and I hope they you
will keep me on your list of supporters for the Renaissance Village. I feel
strongly about this and I will likely tell anyone I can get to listen. I
would like to give you an opportunity to respond first, but may then forward
this letter to city officials, the planners at NACOLG, and friends in the
community.

Best regards,

Susann Elsass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter