Monday, September 05, 2005

My grandmother's hair pins

The world looks much brighter this morning, of course. If there's any aspect of my mother's spirit around here, it's here to give me comfort. I was just cleaning out a drawer in my bedroom, and came across a box full of my maternal grandmother's hair pins. Nothing fancy, just plain metal hair clips. She used to roll her hair into pincurls and fasten them with those clips. I'm decluttering my home, and this kind of thing is the hardest of all. I can let go of stuff that was mine in all my other lives...childhood, high school, college...but what am I supposed to do with my grandmother's hair pins?? Throw them away? Build a shrine to them? What about my mother's lifelong collection of cassette tapes? It's so hard to let these things go. But my house is only so big, and I can only have so much stuff. ;)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mother was never one to protest... I'm certain that she's there and it's just to give you comfort that she makes herself known.

love

12:32 PM  
Blogger Scarlett O'Hara said...

ooooo! cool! my mom had some hair pins, etc left over from her mom. I had made her a small cross stitch thing once and she has attached them all to that and it hangs on the wall. you can get a small shadowbox type thing from any art store or Michaels and just attach them to some backing. maybe put in there a pic of your grandma with them since they belonged to her and then you can hang it on the wall. kind of like a little scrapbook thing. and if you have too many pins, just use a few. :-)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Too late. The hair pins are gone, along with her socks with the name written in, that she used in the nursing home. Don't worry; they really were nothing special; I can go buy a box just like them at Walmart. Though I really liked the shadowbox idea! I think I will fix a couple of those with some of her jewelry, and some of Mother's; the stuff that I will not be likely to wear. I do wear most of it though. I have plenty of Mamaw's more personal things; costume jewelry, her favorite paring knife, even her chamber pot, which I now use as my bathroom trash can. ;) I am finally learning to let go of things though, when they are mundane things, replaceable things. My mother's stereo for instance, is gone; but her rock collection is in my living room. :)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Scarlett O'Hara said...

oh yes! we have done several jewelry shadowboxes! very good then! when you've done it, please take a pic for me! hehe...we did one with my great grandfathers eyeglasses.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know anna u could take all thoes tapes and transfer them into a digital format and than make a website making a list of the ur moms music collection and a few snips from a few songs that have meaning for you and for her. Id say full songs but this way no legal trouble comes your way
Laterz darling
Kit

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter