Thursday, September 01, 2005

Rebuild?? A city below sea level???

Why???

It's insane, all this talk about rebuilding New Orleans. The experts say we have 20-30 more years of massive hurricanes coming. I'm fine with the idea of rebuilding the city, but please, for the love of God, don't put it back in the same precarious spot it's in! Restore the French Quarter, the original city, the only part that's actually above sea level, as a tourist attraction, a monument to the city of New Orleans. But how pathetically stupid is it to repeat the colossal mistake of allowing a city to spread out around it on land that is destined to become swamp?

Let that land turn into the wetlands we so desperately need to protect our country from the onslaught of these deadly hurricanes. Build a city someplace else.

/end rant.

My mind has been trying to wrap itself around the concept of 1 million Americans displaced, homeless...

No luck so far. I just can't fathom it. As soon as I get word back from my employer about matching donations (they matched my Tsunami donation), I'm sending money to the Red Cross, but I just feel like I should be doing something. My heart is so heavy with this. Sometimes it sucks to be an empath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter