Monday, September 19, 2005

Sheffield Charrette

I really enjoyed Thursday night's planning session at the Ritz Theater regarding Sheffield's concepts for an entertainment district. John Elkington of Performa Real Estate was apparently instrumental in the recent changes in Beale St. and he had quite a lot to say that made sense.

One thing that struck me was his warning that it would tend to weaken the effect of the attraction if other cities; Florence, Muscle Shoals or Tuscumbia also decided to build their own music districts. I had been behind the idea of an entertainment district in East Florence, but now I think something else needs to happen there.

He also emphasized the importance of building an unique attraction, not a carbon copy of another city's entertainment district, but something that only the Shoals has to offer.

I've heard some great ideas, and Mike has come up with an amazing concept that I'll talk about later.

Changes are afoot, and I hope everyone will throw their energies and blessings behind what's happening in the Shoals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter