Saturday, November 05, 2005

Memorial

Melanie's memorial was great. Everyone had a chance to get up and say a few words, and it seemed to be really cathartic for her family in particular. Her husband read a piece that her late mother had written about her years ago that absolutely took my breath away.

The preacher did hurt me really badly though. I had spend all week, staying up late every night finding just the right songs for her memorial. I had spoken with her husband about it, and he had told me Mel's favorite hymns, and put me in touch with Renee, the lady organizing the memorial. She and I discussed song selection and she told me that anything I did would be fine. I found every song Mike wanted, and the song that Renee told me that she and Melanie had found so inspirational during the last few months of her life. I bought all these songs on line and made the perfect CD, if I do say so myself. It was finely tuned and obsessed over meticulously.

Well, the preacher refused to play it. He had put together something himself, and that's what he was going to use. I begged him. I told him how hard I had worked to make it perfect. He said his decision was "final". I was devastated!

God, this hurts. I know most people don't obsess over music like I do, and I don't know if anyone else can understand just how much this hurts, to know that I could have given her this last thing, but just didn't have the "pull". I feel so weak. I know what Melanie would have done, if it had been her standing there dealing with some preacher at my funeral. Suffice to say, that CD would have been played. Melanie, I'm so sorry.

3 Comments:

Blogger laney2217 said...

Make copies of the cd for all her friends... those that loved her. Breathe deeply. Maybe a dinner for those closest to her...

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lane gave you an excellent suggestion. All I can add is that the time you spent is not wasted. I am sure she felt your energy and it exists... you know what I mean? It is a memorial because it has an emotional connection.

Blessings...

6:22 AM  
Blogger Scarlett O'Hara said...

Im so sorry he wouldn't play your CD. that is just odd. you would think he would have done it for her family's sake, knowing that yours would have made them feel better.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter