Wednesday, May 04, 2005

A victory

I had a great visit with the doctor last night. He answered a lot of my questions, and solved a major dilemna for me. I've been very nervous about taking the hormone drug Tamoxifen for five years. It has been linked to an increased chance of uterine cancer. The warning sign for that type of cancer is irregular periods. Well, irregular is all I have ever known since I was 12; just no way to predict frequency, duration, flow, nuthin. And to add gross insult to injury, it destroys your singing voice. It's a male hormone and your voice gets lower and the character of your voice changes. I'm a singer, and that's just nightmarish to me.

I shared my concerns with Dr. Marchman and he told me that I could choose not to take the Tamoxifen, and he thought that would be just fine. It's not a cancer treatment; it's a preventative. I think clean living and mammograms every 6 months will do just fine. I'm so thrilled that I don't have to take that poison!

The radiation will suck. It will be like my right boob has its own little suntan bed permanently attached for about 7 weeks. I'll have a sunburn, and I'll feel that sunburn fatigue. Maybe it will decrease my appetite! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger AsharEdith said...

Voluptua I admire your strength... I'll keep praying for you.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Vermin the cat said...

I am a RN and actually didn't know that about Tamoxifen. Good to know...btw, I sing as well. Folk, classical, madrigals...1st soprano. What is your musical bent?

(You have a wonderful blog...may you kick your illness the way your writing kicks arse.)

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter